Open Space in the Region
57,500 acres – 60% of The Irvine Ranch – is preserved forever.
Irvine Company’s history dates back to 1864 with the formation of the 93,000-acre Irvine Ranch. Over the years, we’ve built important regional destinations in and around Orange, like Irvine Lake and Peters Canyon Reservoir, and master planned high-quality communities. But most importantly, we’ve partnered with the community to preserve 57,500 acres – or about 60% of the Ranch – for permanent public enjoyment. Here’s a brief overview of our land conservation and planning around your community.
1864: James Irvine I acquires The Irvine Ranch, which includes portions of what’s now the city of Orange
1897: Irvine Company donates about 300 acres to create Irvine Regional Park
1930s: The Company builds Irvine Lake, storing and conserving water for the region’s growing agricultural industry
1940s: Upper and Lower Peters Canyon Reservoirs are complete to support local agricultural operations
1989: Company dedicates nearly 3,500 acres in Weir and Gypsum canyons, creating a regional open space network extending from Santiago Creek to Coal Canyon
1992: Peters Canyon Regional Park is dedicated to the County of Orange by an approximately 350-acre land gift from the Company
2005: The 22-mile Mountains to Sea Trail is completed. It travels from the edge of the Cleveland National Forest to the Pacific Ocean and is considered the backbone of The Irvine Ranch open spaces.
2009: Irvine Company donates land near Irvine Regional Park for the Boy Scouts of America’s Irvine Ranch Outdoor Education Center – a $30 million, 210-acre eco-friendly center.
2010: Irvine Company transfers 20,000 acres of open space to the County of Orange. The LA Times called it “…a pristine landscape of steep canyons, native grassland and sycamore woodland that is home to golden eagles… and dozens of rare…species of plants and animals.”
2014: Approximately 1,400 acres surrounding Irvine Lake is dedicated to OC Parks. The land had been approved for several thousand new homes but is now permanently preserved open space.
2016: Company receives final approval for the Orange Heights Master Plan.